LMIA-Exempt Work Permit

get social with us!
how can we help you?

Contact us at our Calgary office or submit an inquiry online.

P. +1 587 966 6305

F. +1 587 791 1130


LMIA-Exempt Work Permit

In most cases, work permit applications need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) attached to them. However, there are some work permit categories that do not require an LMIA.

Under these categories, the foreign worker can apply for a work permit even without an LMIA from his or her prospective employer, provided that they fall under an LMIA-exempt work permit category. Some examples of LMIA-exemptions are the following:

  • If you are a trader, investor, professional or intra-company transferee under an international free trade agreement
  • If you applied for permanent residence in Canada (e.g. under the Spouse/ Common-Law Partner In Canada class or Live-In Caregiver class)
  • If you are a spouse/partner of a skilled worker or a student
  • If you are a post-secondary graduate who is eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit
  • If you are a full-time student looking for off-campus employment
  • If you do charitable or religious work
  • If you are a refugee claimant
  • Other humanitarian reasons

Note: Other conditions or requirements may apply.


There are many other circumstances by which you may not be required an LMIA. The best way to know whether you qualify for an LMIA-exempt work permit is by talking to one of our regulated immigration consultants.

Our regulated immigration consultants can assess your qualifications and give you valuable advice on how you can maximize your chances of coming to Canada. You can start by taking our FREE ASSESSMENT or contacting us here.

Need Help Getting A Visa?