Federal Skilled Trades Program

get social with us!
how can we help you?

Contact us at our Calgary office or submit an inquiry online.

P. +1 587 966 6305

F. +1 587 791 1130

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) is one of Canada’s economic immigration classes. The FSTP targets people with skilled trade experience and whose work experience are not captured under the Federal Skilled Worker Program nor the Canadian Experience Class.

To be eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must meet the following requirements:

Eligibility Requirements

You must have at least 2 years of full-time or equivalent part-time work within 5 years of applying, in one of the following skilled trades under the NOC Skill Type B:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

To determine the appropriate NOC occupation, the applicant must have performed the actions described in the lead statement and performed a substantial number of main duties listed in the NOC.

You must have official and valid language test results that meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in Speaking and Listening and CLB 4 in Reading and Writing in your first official language.

You can take any of the following tests approved by ICCRC:

For English:

For French:

Language test results must not be more than 2 years old on the day you submit your application to be considered valid.

You must meet the relevant employment requirements of your skilled trade occupation except for the requirement to obtain a certificate of qualification issued by a competent provincial authority.

You must have an offer of full-time employment from at least one Canadian employer for a total period of at least one year OR a certificate of qualification in the skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

You must have the intention to reside in any province or territory in Canada, other than the province of Quebec.

Our regulated immigration consultants can assess your qualifications and give you valuable advice on how you can maximize your chances of coming to Canada.You can start by taking our FREE ASSESSMENT or contacting us here.

Need Help Getting a Visa?