Sponsor a Spouse

get social with us!
how can we help you?

Contact us at our Calgary office or submit an inquiry online.

P. +1 587 966 6305

F. +1 587 791 1130

Sponsor a Spouse

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner under the Family Class Program. 

Who can be a SPONSOR?

To be eligible as a SPONSOR, you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • At least 18 years old, and
  • A resident of Canada (exceptions apply)

Aside from these, a sponsor must sign a Sponsorship Undertaking, an agreement with the Canadian government, which states their willingness and ability to financially support their sponsored family member/s for the period of the undertaking, which is 3 years from the time the family member becomes a permanent resident for spousal sponsorships.

For spousal sponsorships, a person who was sponsored as a spouse/ common-law partner within the last five years cannot sponsor a spouse/ common-law partner to become a permanent resident to Canada.

Who can be SPONSORED?

Under the spousal sponsorship, the sponsored family members must be:

  • a spouse
  • a common-law partner
  • a conjugal partner

Note: The IRCC recognizes same-sex relationships.


Sponsoring a family member can be a complex process. Sponsorship requirements vary depending on the relationship between the sponsor and the principal applicant, and it is very important that applicants are fully aware of these requirements before sending their applications.

Especially for spousal sponsorships, the burden of proving that relationships are genuine is on the applicant. That said, it is very critical to prepare and submit a complete, thorough and organized application to IRCC.

Our regulated immigration consultants have the knowledge and experience in preparing sponsorship applications. We will determine what you need to prepare based on your specific circumstance and put together a complete and cohesive application that will improve your chances of success.

You can start by taking our FREE ASSESSMENT or contacting us here.