Open Work Permit
An Open Work permit is a type of work permit that does not restrict a foreign worker’s employer or occupation nor does it require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
You may be eligible for an open work permit in the following situations:
- Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada
- Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants
- Spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students
- Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members
- Some temporary resident permit holders, or
- Some young workers participating in special programs.
Note: You may need to meet other criteria or requirements to be eligible.
Once issued a work permit, you will be allowed to work in Canada subject to the conditions of your work permit, which will include the duration of work.